OF EXETER WEST SIGNAL BOX
Exeter West signalbox was built by the Great Western Railway in
1913. It was located at the west end of St. Davids station,
controlling the junction for the London & South Western
Railway's line to Waterloo and connections to the Goods Lines
avoiding the station, the engine sheds and various yards. The
previous box was not spacious enough to accommodate the greater
layout following enlargement of the station. The lengthy new
signalbox contained a lever frame of 114 levers, but this was
replaced in 1959 by an even larger new frame of 131 levers.
A view of Exeter West Box in steam days. A
westbound freight train is passing in front of the box, whilst
the lines to Exeter Central curve round behind the box. On the
far left is the shunting spur for the South Devon Sidings,
whilst on the far right a wooden-post GWR backing signal
stands sentinel on the river bridge. (Photograph by R C Riley)
A view inside the box taken around 1980
showing the box in action. This is the kind of scene that the
Exeter West Group re-create today.
The signal box remained in use until 1985, when colour light
signalling controlled electronically from a new box at Exeter was
brought into use.